Sunday, 27 November 2016

Winter Sun In Santorini


In early October, Ben and I spent a week in the beautiful Greek Island of Santorini. We'd been meaning to plan a summer holiday for agesss, but we'd been so busy the sunny season slipped away. With that, we decided to book a little getaway for October. I've wanted to visit Santorini ever since watching Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (a favourite for young teenage me), so it seemed like as good a time as any to get booking. We'd heard October was a great time to go as the Island starts to wind down for winter, so it's less busy and more relaxed, with perfect temperatures of around 25 degrees.







Fira

The Island's capital, Fira, did not disappoint. It has shops galore and offers beautiful views of the sea and surrounding Islands. We wandered for a few hours, in and out of the gorgeous corridors and had a lovely lunch overlooking the cliff. We also tucked in to a yummy ice cream at a cute little stall in between exploring (it was like frozen sugar in a cone!).








Megalochori

We visited the sleepy village of Megalochori on one of our last days. I really wanted to see a quintessential Greek village and this is certainly it. It was so peaceful - only one or two other tourists in sight!




Santo Wines

Exploring is thirsty work, so what better way to spend an evening than at a winery! Ben and I opted for the 12 glass wine tasting. We timed it perfectly with the sunset too - the views were incredible!







Perivolos Beach

We stayed in this part of Santorini and we were fortunate enough to be right on the famous volcanic beach. It's one of the nicest beaches I've seen, full of cute little restaurants looking out to sea. My favourite was the Seaside restaurant. It was so lovely and I had the nicest cocktail I've ever had there!









Oia

The piece de resistance, beautiful Oia. The sea of white and blue houses is incredible and it truly is one of the prettiest places. I'd heard that there were less crowded places to watch the sunset, but I really do think watching the sunset from Oia is something you just have to do. Seeing the bright blue sky change to lilac before bursting into orange over the gorgeous houses really is magical.

Now the weather is well and truly in winter mode, I'm definitely missing the sun. Maybe it's time to book the next adventure...

2 comments :

  1. These photo's are flawless, like something out of a catalogue! If Santorini wasn't at the top of my list of holiday's already then it definitely is now, I'm especially in love with those pastel pink/blue sunset views and you've captured them so beautifully! You have a lovely blog & I can't wait to read more, I hope you enjoyed your holiday :-)

    Gemma X
    www.aprettypostit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah what a lovely comment! Thanks so much Gemma :) xx

      Delete